Hey everyone! Erica here with today to bring you our Designer in the Spotlight! We are so excited to have Jill Yegerlehner from Jillibean Soup as this months Designer in the Spotlight! If you have been a subscriber for a while you know we love to add Jillibean Soup products to our kits! Not only do we love the products we love all the hardworking people behind Jillibean Soup! Walking into thier booth at CHA is always a great time! You are always greeted and everyone is always so friendly! The quality in all the Jillibean products is alway top of the line and we can not get over the new releases coming soon! Today we are thrilled to bring you this Q&A with Jill and we are so very honored that she took the time to share a little bit more about herself! Please say hello to Jill Yegerlehner!
1. Tell us a little bit about your creative process and what inspires you?
My creative process starts with pulling together a board of design elements, colors, patterns and any “seasonal” items. In most collections we have a “focus” page and this is usually the first page in the collection and is the “focus” of the collection. Recently we’ve been pulling in many different elements, kind of making it a “hodgepodge” of designs. Just about everything inspires me – clothing, fabrics, home décor, my kids, print ads, publications, other designers, paint colors and so much more. I probably spend a little too much time on Pinterest.
2. Where and when are you most creative?
Hmm, good question – I have to be “on” or “creative” most of the time. We work on a lot of product that does not come to fruition so we’re always coming up with new concepts. I work best in the evenings when things are quiet and I’m not being bombarded with distractions.
3. What are some of your must have supplies?
I love cardstock that matches our key Jillibean colors (we always use the same colors throughout our collections so you can mix and match), my Cutterbee scissors, Tombow adhesive, 3L foam squares are a must for me (I use them on every project), my Silhouette Cameo and a good paper trimmer. When I’m making wood projects – I always use vinyl stencils, Jillibean Happy Hues paints and make up sponges.
4. Have you always had a love for design?
I have. I love it. I love interior design, product design, retail fixture design… I just love it all.
5. 3 things people probably do not know about you. Ok..
1. I grew up in a small town in Pennsylvania and graduated with 52 people. 2. I’ve bicycled across thestate of Iowa. 3. I have a Biology degree and was a food scientist prior to starting Jillibean Soup.
• Book – 50 Shades… just kidding! To Kill a
• Movie – Silence of the Lambs (I know, creepy) or the
• Candy – Chocolate all the way
• Drink – Diet Pepsi (it’s my vice)
• Music – Adele, JT, Pentatonix, Coldplay and many
Christian artists as well
• Color – Yellow, Apple Green or Aqua
• TV Show – Dancing with the Stars – the girls and I
watch it together
7. Out of all the collections you have created so far which is your favorite?
It’s too hard to choose! I love one of our latest collections – Hardy Hodgepodge which was just released for the fall.
8. Can you share how Jillibean Soup came about and where the name came from?
Your question about always loving design ties into this…I have always loved design and wanted to somehow get into this industry. I’m not a graphic designer but I direct every piece of product we do. I researched and researched how I could break into the industry. Our first collections were actually printed on kraft paper to set us aside from everyone else. Jillibean Soup was actually not the first name of the company. “Jill’s Attic” was. One day I came across a product that was trademarked “Jill’s Attic”. I had to sit down and make a list of new names after that. I picked my top 6 and sent them to my friends/family to see which one they liked. Every single one of them came back with “Jillibean Soup”. It has allowed us to do some fun marketing with the “soup” part.
9. Who are some of your influences?
God, my husband, my girls, our design team, Pinterest, HGTV just to name a few
10. Any hints on what is to come Jillibean Soup?
It may involve “planning”.. hint, hint. 🙂
Jill thank you so much for being our Designer in the Spotlight!! We can not wait to see some planner Jilllibean Soup products! Thank you everyone for stopping by the blog today! Not only did Jill share a little bit about herself with us today she also has a fabulous prize for one lucky reader!
Jillibean Soup is giving away this beautiful new collection Hearty Hodgepodge! All you need to do is leave a comment below telling us your favorite Jillibean soup product or collection! We would also love for you to check them out on Facebook! Have a great rest of your day everyone!