Hello everyone! Erica here with you today to bring the October Designer in the Spotlight! This month we are excited to have Roberta & Jack Pasciuti from Wildflower + Co. If you purchased our recent card kit you will recognize the name Wildflower + Co. from the awesome stamp set included in the kit! They have a fabulous Etsy shop that you will want to check out after reading this post and check out all their products and just a heads up they have stamps for 50% off right now! They stamps are so unique and on trend you will love what they have to offer! We love to support small business and when we come across a company like Wildflower + Co that is run by some amazing people with customer service that is top notch…We just have to share with our fans! We hope you enjoy this months Q & A and please remember to leave some down below! Now grab your drink of choice, relax and say Hello to Roberta and Jack!
1. Can you tell us a little bit about your creative process.
Since we are a team, our creative process is super collaborative! We are constantly seeking inspiration & since we are based in Brooklyn, there’s no shortage! We work off a seasonal calendar to fine tune our ideas & develop them into products. We discuss ideas, decide on what (& how) to develop, & then go into a “creative zone” to develop these concepts with as minimal disruption (& as much coffee) as possible. Since we have a lot of ideas covering multiple product categories we also work with a small team of freelancers to help bring these ideas to life.
2. Where and when are you most creative?
There’s no set schedule or place. Creative sparks happen anywhere & at any time. The challenge is to hold onto those ideas & carve out the time to fully explore them. We both take tons of pics & keep notebooks / sketchbooks handy at all times. We designed our studio to encourage creativity & the ability to explore ideas on a whim – it’s the ultimate craft room! The best part is the giant, communal table covered with kraft paper that encourages play – nothing better than drawing on the table!
3. What are some of your must have supplies?
In terms of stamping, we love a little bling & the look of gold foil so we are obsessed with embossing powders (& the heat gun). Our favorite powders are from Ranger. We also love vibrant inks, such as Hero Arts Neon & Tsukineko’s Brilliance. Clear embossing powder also adds a touch of magic over colors! Extra fine misters are great for when we want to achieve a watercolor effect.
4. Who are some of your influences?
Truly everyone. The moment you realize that everyone has something to offer each other is the moment everyone’s lives become a bit richer. Both of our mothers are crafters too & growing up in households that supported crafts & the arts played a major role in our development. We are also lucky that we have so many great museums, galleries, concert venues, & shops right around us that provide an endless variety of inspirationfrom established & emerging artists.
5. 3 things people probably do not know about you.
1. We met while working in fashion ages ago! Roberta as a Merchandiser & Jack as a Designer.
2. We both went to art school – Roberta went to Parsons School of Design & Jack went to RISD.
3. We are obsessed with Thai food!
● Book – Creativity, Inc. from the President of Pixar, Ed Catmull – this is more of a business book, but it is just so inspiring & thought provoking for anyone in a creative field. Highly recommended!
● Movie – This is a tough one! As children of the 80s/90s, we have a soft spot for those movies – Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Pretty in Pink, Dirty Dancing, Clueless, +++! Somewhat more recently, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind & Inception are two faves that really stretch the imagination.
● Candy – Dark chocolate covered anything
● Drink – Coffee!! & Mimosas!
● Music – Another tough one! Tons of rock as well as pop that you can dance too. Marina & the Diamonds is currently on heavy rotation in the studio. And we love Miley J
● Color – Gold! Blush pink, hot pink, minty greens.
● TV Show – Mad Men (we still can’t believe it’s over!) & Broad City
7. Can you share how Wildflower + Co. came about and where did you find inspiration for the name of your company?
Would love to! We had both been working in fashion & the sparkle of the industry & even the shopping experience started to fade. Our creative spark was approaching burnout. So we embarked on a soul searching, mental vacay – this pic was actually taken at one of our early “meetings” (i.e. a music festival), when we decided to go for it! We got back to doing what we loved – designing for ourselves, creating, making anything & everything. We still craved awesome “stuff” but wanted it to be meaningful, fun & about the experience of making it! That time was incredibly recharging, but we soon discovered that the stuff we needed – high quality, fashion-driven supplies, was not available. We thought others might feel the same way so we got to work – Wildflower + Co. was born!
Wildflowers are our inspiration, hence our name – they are beautiful, wild & color our world. We believe the same is true for makers, designers, DIYers. Creative sparks fly and spread beauty anywhere & everywhere, in places and ways we might never have expected.
8. If you could go anywhere in the world and take one person with you, where would you go and who would you bring along?
Almost any island in Thailand and we would both be there for a little R&R!
9. What inspired you to design your first stamp set?
Before Wildflower + Co. ever existed, we attended a local papercraft class & it was so much fun!! We Wished that the stamps fit our style so that we would actually use what we made. So, when the time was right, stamps were a must!
Roberta & Jack thank you so much for taking time our of your day to answer our Q&A and being our October Designer in the Spotlight! We are so in love with your company and look forward to seeing some new stamps in the future! To check out Wildflower + Co please visit their Etsy shop HERE and also you can find them on Facebook! Thanks so much for stopping today and we hope you get some time to do something creative today!
October 12, 2015 at 10:32 am
Love your fun stamp set!! It is great to get to know more about you.. Off to check out your company!
October 12, 2015 at 1:40 pm
I LOVE getting to know more about Wildflower and Co. !! So cool that you started your own stamp company, and small business!! Love it! Thanks for sharing here!
October 12, 2015 at 8:16 pm
So excited to meet Jack and Roberta! Especially since I work in Brooklyn.
October 13, 2015 at 8:16 pm
Thank you for sharing a little more about you! 🙂
October 18, 2015 at 8:13 am
i always love these features – it’s so much fun to get to know the designers a bit better!
October 18, 2015 at 10:21 pm
I just got the “Love you to the moon and back stamp” and I adore it!!! So fun to learn about the company!